To: ISTE’s SIGML’ers aka Mobilists aka members of the Mobilist Nation
Subject: FREE* SIGML Mobile Learning Kick-Off Webinar, November 3rd, 2011, 7pm EST. *FREE
From: ISTE’s SIGML Steering Committee
Date: October 31, 2011
Mobile technologies have ramped faster than ANY OTHER TECHNOLOGY in the history of computing… and by ISTE 2012 in San Diego, more than half the mobile phones purchased in the U.S. will be smartphones.
Millions and millions of people – short ones, absolutely included – will be moving from feature phones to smartphones over the next 12-24 months. MILLIONS. And MILLIONS. This has nothing to do with me, with you, with SIGML, with ISTE; this will happen whether superintendents, principals, teachers, parents, Grand PoohBahs, etc. like it or not; THIS IS HAPPENNING – NOW. Feature phones are out; smartphones (aka COMPUTERS) are in. It’s done; the battle is over.
· The Age of Mobilism is full upon us and thus it is absolutely inevitable that the aluminum-encased glass slab nestled in the palm of your hand will engender a fundamental change in K-12 classrooms.
· Whether we want it or not; whether we are ready or not; whether you or I or anyone believes it or not… K-12 is on the verge of a major transformation brought about in large measure by that almost weightless computing device previously known as a phone.
· Time to take advantages of the affordances of 1:1 smartphones (aka computers) in the K-12 classroom.
To prepare ISTE educators for the coming transformation by providing thoughtful and thought-provoking information, ISTE’s SIGML is launching a **FREE** webinar series on mobile learning. As described more fully below, mobilists Cathie Norris and Elliot “SIGML Grand Poobah” Soloway, will kick off the series followed by webinars from mobilists George Engel (Classroom issues), Karen Sorensen (BYOD financing). And that’s just for starters!!
The **FREE** kick-off webinar will be November 3rd, 2011 at 7pm.
· Cathie Norris and Elliot Soloway will present: Education in the Age of Mobilism: The Inevitable Transformation of the K-12 Classroom.
Please, GO TO STEP 1 below to attend!
To support those webinars SIGML is rolling out a new wiki, http://mobilistnation.iste.wikispaces.net/ , that will host the SIGML “Grow the Conversation” asynchronous conversations. Post a question; post a comment; add your thoughts to the ongoing mobile learning conversation at http://mobilistnation.iste.wikispaces.net/ .
· Step 1: Register for the first webinar; go to http://tinyurl.com/NovSIGMLwebinar and sign up.
· Step 2: Go to http://mobilistnation.iste.wikispaces.net/ and register yourself; you need to do this ONCE and only once – and then you can go to step 3.
· Step 3: Join in the conversation starting on November 3rd, 2011; add your voice to fellow SIGML’ers, fellow mobilists, exploring mobile learning in this Age of Mobilism.
Questions? Contact George Engel, Mobilist Extraordinaire & SIGML Webinar Series Director,firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you! Elliot, Grand Poohbah and Chair, ISTE’s SIGML
Arthur F. Thurnau Professor
Intergalactic Mobile Learning Center (iMLC)
College of Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering
School of Information, School of Education
2260 Hayward, Room 3629, CSE Building
University of Michigan Ann Arbor, MI 48109
Co-Founder, GoKnow, Inc.
News & Events >