What is iCollaboratory?
The iCollaboratory is an Internet space where students from a wide variety of classrooms create, share, and comment on each others work as well as collect data and do research on all kinds of topics. Students with a multitude of gifts and those with special needs learn from each other as they participate in numerous learning activities. All kinds of social boundaries break away when students participate in CLASS and classroom based CyberLearning and Social Networking!
Wait a sec! What does CLASS stand for?
C = Cyber
L = Learning
A = (for) All
SS = StudentS!
We're so connected!
iCollaboratory members use Google’s Web 2.0 tools and resources to build engaging projects and activities. In the iCollaboratory, members can collaborate and share information more effectively with shared calendar and documents; share and publish work as web pages and web sites; comment, discuss and reflect on work; and access data from anywhere, even from mobile devices!
This school year, 2009-10, the iCollaboratory has combined Moodle and a Private Google Domain and is offering more Sponsored Projects.
In Sponsored Projects:
- Each participating class has a single space to develop and to share reading, writing and research, including docs, videos, sounds, images, and attachments.
- Students can create web pages using iCollaboratory Sites and when they are ready their teacher can link the pages to the Sponsored Project Google Site so they can be viewed, commented on by peers and published for a wider audience.
- Invite community members, family, students and mentors to view the students' work or let as many or as few people view your site as you want.
Why use iCollaboratory Docs?
iCollaboratory-Google Docs allows you to:
- Create and edit documents, spreadsheets and presentations online, from anywhere you have Internet access.
- Share documents with others, even collaborating on the same document at once, in real time.
- Know that your documents are safe. Since your content is stored on Google’s secure servers, even if something happens to your hard drive, your documents are protected.
- Return to iCollaboratory Google Docs directly at http://docs.collaboratory.northwestern.edu
Why use iCollaboratory Sites?
Collaboratory-Google Sites allows you to:
- Build a site is as simple as editing a document and you don’t need anyone’s help to get started.
- Create a single place to bring together all the information your classroom needs to share, including docs, videos, sounds, photos, calendars and attachments.
- Invite students, co-workers, classmates, or your entire organization to edit your site with you to keep it fresh and up-to-date.
- Publish student work or link to student created websites.
- Allow as many or as few people view your site as you want.
Hey! Did you know...?
The iCollaboratory, http://www.icollaboratory.org, will host and administer accounts, furnish online help and support, and offer use of iCollaboratory services, tools and gadgets as requested for issueConnect. So help is always around!
Why use iCollaboratory Calendar?
Collaboratory-Google Calendar allows you to:
- See the big picture - see other classroom/school schedules right next to your own; quickly add events mentioned in Gmail conversations or saved in other calendar applications; and add other interesting events that you find online.
- Share events and calendars - decide who can see your calendar and which details they can view. Planning an event? You can create invitations, send reminders and keep track of RSVPs right inside Google Calendar. Organizations can promote events, too.
- Stay on schedule - You can set up automatic event reminders, including mobile phone notifications, and instantly bring up anything on your calendar with the built-in search tool.
Exploring the web through learning has only gotten more exciting!